Face Lift (rhytidectomy)
What is it?
A face lift, also called a rhytidectomy, is a surgical procedure that improves signs of aging in the face and neck. As people age, the skin naturally begins to thin and lose fat and elasticity. A face lift will reduce the appearance of facial wrinkles and other signs of aging or damage due to the sun or smoking, giving you a more youthful appearance. If you notice sagging in
the middle of the face, deep creases below the lower eyelids, deep creases along the nice extending to the corner of the mouth, loss of skin tone, loose and excess skin and fat under the chin, and loss of the youthful contours of your face, a face lift surgery is an excellent investment for a more youthful and rejuvenated appearance. In general, a surgeon will tighten the skin and underlying facial muscles to improve your facial structure. Face lift surgery does not change your appearance and cannot stop the aging process. The cost of a face lift will vary depending on additional hospital and/or surgery fees. Most insurance does not cover face lift surgeries or complications but the surgeon may offer financing plans.
Average cost: $6,650
Step One – General anesthesia or intravenous sedation.
Step Two – There are two main incisions, a traditional face lift incision or a limited incision. During the procedure, fat may be redistributed to form the contours of your face. Then, the surgeon will stretch the skin over the new contours and trim any excess skin. Traditional incision: Runs along the hairline, beginning at the temples, and around the ear, ending at the lower scalp. Limited Incision: Runs along the hairline, beginning at the ear and ending atthe lower scalp.
Step Three – Suture incisions closed. Incision lines well disguised by the hairline.
Step Four – During recovery, a face lift bandage may be wrapped around your face to minimize swelling and bruising. Thin tubes will be placed to drain any excess fluids or blood under the skin.
What exactly is a facelift?
• A facelift is a procedure that can improve the most visible signs of aging by tightening deeper structures, re-draping the skin of face and neck, and removing selected areas of fat if necessary.
How much swelling and bruising should I expect?
• Some swelling and bruising is expected. The maximum amount of swelling will be within 48 hours post-surgery and gradually decreases within 10-14 days.
• You will be able to wear makeup and go back to work within two weeks after your facelift.
What age do most people have a facelift?
• Everyone ages differently but the age of our patients having this surgery is between 45 and 70 years.
• There is no age restriction for facelift surgery however, you must be in general good health to undergo surgery.
When are the sutures removed?
• Normally the sutures that are in the front of the ears are removed between 4 to 5 days post op and sutures behind the ears and staples on day 7. By day 10 any remaining sutures or staples are removed.
Where are the scars located for a facelift?
• The incisions for a facelift are placed along the ear contour as close to the ear as possible, behind the ear, and in the hairline. There may or may not be a line under the chin. If you follow Dr. Koumanis’ aftercare instructions the scars will be virtually unnoticeable. Dr. Koumanis also recommends using a scar cream and the daily use of sun screen even if you are not in direct sunlight.
Dr. Koumanis is truly amazing. Our son, Noah, was eight when he was bitten on the face by our dog in June 2015. A piece of his top left lip was ripped out, his cheek was torn open, and he had a slice in his bottom lip. Dr.Koumanis arrived in the emergency room, so calm and sure of just what needed to be done. He reattached the piece of lip in exactly the right position by matching the direction of the tiny hairs on his upper lip. over the last 18 months, he has done a follow-up surgery and seen Noah multiple times to check on how his face is healing. We could not be happier or more amazed with the results. Noah is ten now, and if you saw him on the street, you would not be able to tell the severity of his injuries based on how amazing he looks today. Noah has never been embarrassed or distressed about his lip (he was cracking jokes in the ER). That is just who he is as a person, but his continued confidence in spite of what could have been debilitating is a testament to just what a spectacular job Dr.Koumanis did on reconstructing his beautiful face. Our family cannot recommend Dr.Koumanis highly enough. Thank you so much. – Melanie P., Ballston Spa, NY
Dr.Koumanis you are incredible! I’m very grateful to have you as my doctor. I feel like a new woman who feels sexy again. After years of taking care of everybody else, I finally did something for me. My results are better than expected. I actually miss seeing you and your wonderful staff. Thank you for the beautiful work you did on me! – Lynne, Burnt Hills, NY
Very professional, compassionate and knowledgeable surgeon. Dr.Koumanis restored me to better than natural after the scary nightmare diagnosis of breast cancer. I found him to be the most humanistic, caring and talented surgeon in the Northeast. He has the utmost concern for your feelings as well as an expert artistic vision for your best outcome. He really is a reconstructive genius after breast cancer! At the onset of the treatment ( a double mastectomy), he said that in a bit of time I wouldn’t think about the reconstruction at all … he was right! Thank you Doctor Koumanis and your wonderful staff for walking me through a darker place. I came out of the other side with my head held high and a new sense of self-worth! Sincerely, – L.M., Altamont NY
See more patient testimonials here